We Declare a Climate Emergency
Our Commitment to Reducing Carbon Emissions
At Arcadia Expeditions, we believe it is our responsibility to help preserve the planet for future generations through responsible environmental stewardship and to fight global climate change by reducing and offsetting carbon emissions throughout our business.
As part of our commitment to acting as a responsible business, we have signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
Whilst Arcadia is already taking meaningful steps to offset carbon emissions, such as investing in renewable energy to offset staff business flights, we are taking this further and, as a signatory of Tourism Declares, have committed to the following five actions:
- We will develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- We will share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
- We will accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- We will encourage our global network of suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
- As an active advocate for change, Arcadia Expeditions recognise the need for system change across the industry, and call for urgent regulatory action to accelerate the transition towards zero carbon air travel.
To learn more about our commitment to reducing our negative environmental impacts while increasing our positive social and economic impacts, visit our Responsible Business page.